Thursday, September 17, 2009

A second, a minute, an hour, a day, a week ...

2 + 2 =4. 5 x 5 = 25. d = rt. These lessons all sound really simple. I don't even have to think about them anymore. Still though, I know at one point, they didn't seem so simple. At one point, they were confusing to the point that my mother let me practice by counting with forks and knives in our drawer. This week, I had to learn a lesson again that I've learned more times that I can count; still, it trips me up every time. This week started out looking like it could potentially be a complete nightmare. I had to deal with my first ticket Monday; I woke up at 6:00 to go to court. I waited in line for over an hour and half and got out of the ticket. Simple, right? My first day of clinicals started on Tuesday; I had no idea what I was doing. My clinical leader looked at me during a practice run and said, "OK, start the assessment." I had no idea where to start. We had been taught a FULL physical exam; I only had to do 1 body system. It turned out to be really simple. The next day, I would meet my patient. Stress. What would that be like? Well, actually it was fantastic. Wednesday was one of the most fulfilling days I've had in a while; my time, each minute, each hour felt purposeful, even though I didn't actually do that much. Nursing allows me to incorporate the value I place on life and living into action which I just find so exciting! I hope I keep that in mind because I know how idealistic it sounds but still, it never hurts. I am so aware of my flaws (of which I have many), butI also believe that God graces me with days that I feel like He designated just for me, to show me that I am part of His plan. Yes, surprisingly, I got all of this out of putting on scrubs, taking vitals, and measuring urine. Now, I'm sitting here with my bestfriend of over 10 years, cuddled up in blankets, watching Grey's Anatomy Season 5, and I would just like to say on the record, this week turned out much better than anticipated. Everything came together. Lesson learned - again. Still, I'm scared. I have this life in my mind that I have always wanted, that I still want, and it seems much farther off than I thought it would by this point. You would think though that after I saw, yet again, that things turn out just as they should, that I wouldn't be anxious about the future. Maybe one day it will actually sink in. I love quoting others because they often say it better than I (I tend to ramble) so here's the quote of the week," Essentially, we spend too much time trying to figure out where we're going. We should be trying to figure out WHO God wants us to be, rather than WHERE God wants us to be." So, I'm going to try to do just that; I encourage you to do the same <3

1 comment:

  1. Mary Kelly, I'm Erika's Aunt Michele. I started off so many years ago speaking what I thought was another language. The anxiety was crazy, but you survive and go on to take care of yet another patient. You have the knowledge, now you just have to apply it. It's there, just ask God to open your mind and guide you in the right direction. You wouldn't have been selected as a UNC Nursing student if you didn't have the smarts to be there. Your compassion will help guide you and your patients will be comforted.

    I'm really enjoying your blog because it takes me back to my Nursing School days. I'm and NP now and I have loved every minute of my career! Good Luck to you, Erika and Katie

    ReplyDelete