Monday, September 14, 2009

I Love Nursing School

For multiple reasons. Here's a few, in no particular order:

1) Nursing Humor: We're all nerds, and I love it. In lab today, we were practicing moving patients from the floor to a stretcher with these crazy inflatable beds. And John, one of our few male nursing students, was like "I'm clear, you're clear, we're all clear!" going back to our BLS [basic life support] CPR class we took this summer. They were crazy about making sure we say that every time we practiced with the defibrillator. Either way, we all started laughing, myself included, and all I could think of is, "Wow, we are nerds." When you're surrounded by these things all the time, it's hard not to revert to talking about it all the time. But then when you tell these "funny" stories later on, everyone else looks at you like that was the dumbest story ever (maybe it's just me actually, if you know me, you know that I am TERRIBLE at telling stories). But when I get those blank looks from people, I just go..."oh, nursing humor."

Which reminds me, I don't think we fully explained the name of the blog. When we were trying to think of a title, we turned to trusty Google with this search: "things that nurses say a lot." Well we found this list of [mostly funny] sayings that nurses tend to say, and one of them was, "This won't hurt a bit." Well I think we can all say that we've heard that before, and usually when they do say that, it does actually hurt! So we though that was funny. I tacked on the "at least we hope not" because let's be honest, we have very little knowledge and we're about to be thrown into this crazy world where people's lives are in our hands - we definitely HOPE we don't actually hurt anyone! Especially when it's school and we're just students...

2) Our crazy labs: Today we lifted each other off beds 5-6 feet in the air to move them to chairs to practice safe patient handling for immobile patients. A few weeks ago, we actually restrained each other to beds. Next week we're doing injectable medicine...on each other! In a few weeks we have our Venipuncture lab; they sent out this notice this weekend regarding that lab: "We recommend not wearing light colors that day. You will be in a lab environment with copious amounts of fake blood and with the potential for exposure to real blood and body fluids." Haha, whaaaat. My favorite part of that was the adjective "copious."

3) The people: This week is going to be a tough/busy one. We have our first exam on Friday, and it's also our first week of clinicals, and thus our first week of patient interaction. What are we doing Friday evening? A bunch of us are getting together to have a Banana Split and Disney movie night. That's my kind of night! The invite to this get-together read, "For the love of bananas and our sanity." :)

Two other quick things:
1) Katie is a slacker, and better post something soon!
2) Our friend Whitney is joining this blogging team, so get ready for one more awesome perspective in our journey through Nursing school!

6 comments:

  1. Are you injecting real medicine, or something like IV fluid/water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories, Memories, Memories! I look forward to following your development! You will be an awesome nurse, I just know it! Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I make one more comment??? For us more mature readers... Can you make the text size slightly bigger???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele - you can make the text size bigger on your own. Open their web page, and then press "Ctrl" and "+" on your keyboard to make the text as big as you like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie!!! You are amazing... I had no idea! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete