Tuesday, October 20, 2009

settling...

i know, i know... it's been a while!

First I'll reflect on a couple of weeks ago. I only had one clinical day and went into the OR for our required "OR experience." We got up and met with the lead OR nurse educator and she let us pick our surgery from a refined list (ones she thought would be good for student experience and not overwhelming for the staff). I chose the liver resection and was amazed! Although I was able to see the beginning of the anesthesia induction and well into the surgery, I had to leave early before it was all finished. I spoke more with the anesthesia team and the surgeon than I did with the circulating nurse, because she was mostly documenting procedures. I really enjoyed seeing and hearing all the different perspectives in the room. If only we had already been evaluated on starting IVs, that could've been me over there with the needle! If it were up to me, I would try to spend more days there...I loved it! And I can't forget the words of the young Anesthesiologist who told me she would have been a CRNA had she known about it before she went to med school. She said "it's the best career you could ever have." That's keeping me motivated.

After that and before this past week everything seems like a blur. A quick summary would include lack of sleep, clinicals, tests, work, and eating every now and then. thrilling life i know...

Last week is a different story: Started it off right with no lab (thank you, University Day!) and clinicals were back to full-tilt. But there was something about this week that made it different from all the rest. I had a lot of firsts and felt a lot more involved in my patient's care, but it was more than that. My patient was an older lady whose rare form of cancer had returned 6 years after she had it removed. She was having complications from the most recent surgery to have it removed again, and was back in the hospital. I think the thing that amazed me the most was her strength and her husband's love and care. Each time I went in the room, trying to keep it to a minimum for her own comfort, she was so pleasant, even if you could tell she was in pain. We worked together to finish all our tasks for the days and made it work for both of our schedules. One of the tasks for school is to complete a teaching care plan for our patients; I worked with the patient and her husband on both days. Just to see his involvment and care and love through all of her needs was touching. He was there by her side for it all...thick and thin, sickness and health.

This past weekend involved the state fair, as you can see from the pictures! so much fun! After that all day affair, I snuggled up in my warm living room with my roommates and watched movies. Not just any movies, but "Fried Green Tomatoes," since I did just spend a day dedicated to eating them, and "Rachel Getting Married," one that I really enjoyed the first time around, plus it was on sale at Blockbuster.

Yesterday I think we all realized our dislike of the front row in lectures...and then had a few labs regarding central lines, and now, finally, thank goodness, it's FALL BREAK!!! it's about time. enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. YAY! KATIE POSTED!

    Seriously, front row seats? Can you imagine if we did that in 253? He'd be calling us out even more than he already does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you had a week that you can look at as a critical moment! I've loved those days that reminded me how much of service we have the potential to provide for our patients : )

    ReplyDelete